15th March 2006
Object name: BETA U MAJ Beta Ursae Majoris
Popular name: Beta Ursae Majoris
Object type: Star
Magnitude: 2.34
Classification: A1V
Apparent RA: 11h 02m 15.84s Apparent Dec: +56 20 57.2
Constellation: Ursa Major

This is my first spectrum with my Artemis 285 camera. It is a bright moon tonight - only a day past full, so such a night would normally be discarded. Apart from the Moon it was very clear, so I have decided to try the Staranalyser on the Artemis 285 and do some spectroscopy. It is a long time since I last used the grating, so I started with some nice bright stars. To take full advantage of the large CCD chip I positioned the grating as far as possible from the CCD chip, giving me 7.21Å per pixel resolution. This is a very high resolution for the staranalyser - however, I am extremely pleased to see the whole set of hydrogen lines, all the way down to 3835Å, although the last one is a bit marginal. More than I ever had with my black and white SC3.

At the top of the page you can see the actual spectrum, with the graph beneath. In the spectrum you can see some further absorption lines in the infra-red due to the atmosphere.

Lately I have been climbing the learning curve of this new camera taking mainly "pretty pictures" such as NGC2403 and NGC4631 Whale Galaxy and it has been fun to turn the camera to something a little more unusual. With the big 285 chip and high resolution you get some mighty big spectrums!

Captured in artemis capture and combined with 1 star alignment in Maxim DL. Saved as fits. Loaded into photoshop, rotated and cropped, saved as fits using fitsplug. Calibrated and graphed in Vspec.

Exposure Details :

StarAnalyser 23x0.5s on aperture = 200mm @ F5 with ART285

Curdridge Observatory, Southampton,UK